Praying for Churches and Missionaries COVID-19
March 20, 2020
Few of us anticipated how quickly things would escalate in recent days and how the COVID-19 pandemic would impact local churches and their missionaries. However, we know that the challenges before us present unprecedented opportunities to share the gospel to a lost world. I am reminded of what the Apostle Paul wrote to the church at Philippi concerning his imprisonment: But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel (Philippians 1:12).
It is possible that there are more Independent Baptist Church services being broadcast over the internet today than ever before. Though this presents a challenge to God’s people, it presents an opportunity to reach the lost individual who is searching for hope during these uncertain times.
Please remember to pray for churches and their missionaries during these days. It is yet to be seen what kind of financial impact this will have on churches in the U.S. as well as church plants all over the world. Based on recent conversations with pastors and missionaries, here are a few ways we can help one another during these days:
1. Stay connected. We are blessed to be living in a day when technology provides opportunities for us to stay connected even from a “social distance.”
- Churches can connect with missionaries through phone, email, video chats, and social media to be aware of the missionary’s needs. There are missionaries on the field who will need help and encouragement navigating through this time.
- Missionaries can continue to send prayer letters and social media updates. They can also tune in to their sending church’s broadcast, and possibly interact with supporting churches through SKYPE or pre-recorded mission reports.
2. Pray fervently. Missionaries are praying for churches and pastors as they face unique challenges today. Here are some prayer requests to remember for missionaries during this time:
- Pray that the Word of God would have free course and be glorified during this unprecedented opportunity to preach the gospel (2 Thessalonians 3:1).
- Pray for boldness and protection as the missionary ministers abroad (Ephesians 6:19-20).
- Pray for continued financial provision (Philippians 4:13,19). Missionaries on deputation and furlough depend on love offerings that may be affected by cancelations.
3. Give consistently. Churches who temporarily move to an online platform have found it beneficial to encourage those tuning in to give through their local church by mail or online. Those who give can be confident that God loves a cheerful giver, blesses an abundant giver, and provides for a sacrificial giver (2 Corinthians 9:6-7; Philippians 4:19). Missionaries on the field are grateful for individuals and local churches who give consistently even amidst troublesome times.
The WBFMA remains committed to assist local churches and their missionaries. If there is anything we can do for you, please don’t hesitate to call or email us. We are praying for God’s Word to be magnified and for local churches to be multiplied during these days. Thank you for your consistent prayers and financial support! We are praying for you!